Sunday, May 25, 2014

The Lockpicking Demo & The Big Fighting Animations

Good news everyone! This week I've released a demo of the Lockpicking mini-game in Bloodhunt. You can download it from here. It's, of course, free and super-easy to install: just unrar the file, open bloodhunt.swf and that's it. Use your mouse to control the lockpick and the screwdiver and don't forget to click to roll the dice. With all your feedback and comments, I'll update the mini-game in the following demo release, which will probably be in a month or so.

Aside from the the demo, these last days I've been working on the combat system. In particular, I've devoted some time and efforts animating the Tremere character in a Street Fighter fashion (in fact, I've copied some tilesheets from X-MEN vs Street Fighter).


The results are quite good, but the process of animating this big and more detailed version of the player character is very time consuming. I'm not sure if I can handle this level of detail for every character and enemy in the game, so I've scaled down the scope of the combat system (quite literally) hoping some day I can devote more time to the animations. But for now, smaller is better.



Also, I've made some concepts for the combat, which may end up being more similar to a JRPG than I originally expected. More to come soon.






2 comments:

  1. First of all, thanks a lot and congrats for this development, man. After CCP fiasco, your posts are delicious to the last bite.

    Also, I have tested the lockpicking minigame. It feels great, but:
    1) I thought you have stated before that you cannot remain in the same optimal position each time you try to unlock, because this one changes. Not true in my experience (once I find the 4-dice position I can remain there with 4 dice calls until winning).
    2) I wonder if it would be a good idea to highlight the winning dice (or maybe to add a line), specially if its possible to get more dice at some point in the future.

    I hope this helps.

    Thanks again, dude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Devils! Thanks a lot for your feedback.

      Point 1) The position of the lockpicking bonus is randomized after each roll, so in theory it could end up in the same spot just by pure luck. However, 4 times in a row in the same spot looks certainly more like a bug. I'll check it out in the code.

      Point 2) Highlighting the successes in the dice roll is a great idea. It will help to easily identify how good is a dice roll. Alos, it will show which successes are canceled out by 1s. Since I'm currently working on the combat system, I'll take the opportunity to improve the dice rolls. We're going to see a lot of dice in the following updates :D

      Cheers!

      Delete